Monday, May 04, 2020

The Oz trail

This post stayed in my draft for more than 12 years, until I decided to press the PUBLISH button now :)
Meeting the 3 musketeers !
I trudged along the road on a lazy Sunday afternoon. I never knew I'd be on my way making friends with some Indians who were around my age and would be helping me out till the rest of my stay in Sydney. The day kickstarted with some quick snack from McDonalds. Then, after enquiries on the best mode of transportation to reach the Bondi beach, took a bus to reach there!! Time:12.30p.m with the sun scorching down, I was almost left to wonder if I were the odd one out (you knw why: 'cos jus imagine i was completely covered in a tough jean and a t-shirt, when compared to what i could observe when I looked around ;) ). Since i never brought a coupla shorts along, I was wondering if I should ever venture into the waters. But then, the clear blue sky, clean sand and the small kids enjoying themselves in the cool waters and simmering heat above all, tempted me to throw myself in and have a quick dip. I walked in till the water was waist deep. This was the moment, when I'd my digi-cam in hand when a guy asked me if I wanted his help in taking a photograph. From his persona, I could make out that he could be an Indian (other possibilities could be that he might be a Sri Lankan or a Fijian). The conversation thus began, and later came to know that he was a software engineer from B'lore who'd come down on an onsite call. After chit-chatting for some time about the place and people, and our stay so far, he introduced me to 2 of his friends who as well belonged to the same clan of software engineers.

Eventful day: After spending some more time having lunch together, we were discussing what each of us were planning to do for the rest of the day. When these guys said, they were heading home, I told them of one other beach by name - Coogee beach nearby, thanks to me referring to a travel guide I'd picked up at the airport. It was coming to some good use now. We went on a walk by the beach and walked along the beach to a small mount valley and took some beautiful snaps from the picteresque location.
As was the custom, the office had ordered a big cake, which was to be cut by me and 2 of my other office colleagues who were celebrating their b'day the same week. Then, I tried best to finish the red wine which was given to me in too small a glass, which I still tried hard to complete.

B'day specialz:

Before I decided to start my day, I'd two options...one of leaving to Jenolan Caves or the other of visiting Sydney Olympic Park. I chose the latter considering the significance of the park, though I personally had more inclination towards going to Jenolan Caves. As usual picking up the train routes I headed to the railway station to head to the Olympic Park. It was 45 minutes before I'd reached the place. Telstra Stadium Tour is one which one needs to definitely take if one happens to get a chance. Usually a group of 6 is formed in a tour. Our group had just 5 people including me (one was a local, and the other 3 was a German Couple and their daughter who'd come on a holiday). The rapport among us was good and we helped each other in taking photographs taking chance. The one I regret for having missed in the Olympic Park is the Cycling tour, which I couldnt make 'cos of want of time. Am not going to bore you with more information and leave it to the website: http://www.sydneyolympicpark.com.au/ to give more accurate and reliable info for you to check it out if you are interested.
Seemz like, I've taken a good decision at the end of the day, as I later heard from a few of my friends that the Jenolan would ve been worth the trip if I'd gone in a group and had company of friends to accompany with.

Its around 17.30 and I called on my friend's mobile and woke him up from his evening nap. Then, these guys invited to their place to come over for the b'day. I do believe in God...hence as in my earlier trip ended up goin to a temple! And guess what these guys had planned it well in advance, and we went to a Sai Baba temple in the evening. Now I know, what you are thinking of by visualizing the temple! No you got it wrong, the temple is very different....it was an anglicized building which had been rented out by the local community for religious purpose. So after paying obeisance to the Lord and thanking HIM for bringing me there, I was in for some more surprise when these guys took to an Indian Restaurant where I was treated to some Indian 'khaana' - parathas, rotis, chicken teekha. Yummy, great to 've 'em all. The climate was getting chill by now with some light drizzle. Then, after getting back to their place and watching a cricket match goin live for sometime, I started for my way back to my room.

Great day indeed. It was a great b'day indeed with lotsa activities over the weekend, and all set to start the week next day!

A date with the Koala/Kangaroos:

Even during the previous trip, I'd always wanted to get up close with the Koalas and the Kangaroos. This time around, I made it a point to make it happen. This is how the trip to Featherdale Park was born. It was exciting to catch up with these koalas which are so soft and sensitive and do I add lazy to it. lol.!! yep, seemz like these creatures have the potential/gift to sleep upto 18 hours in a day (I pray i be born as a Koala in the nxt gen) ;)) hehe!! Now getting to the Kangaroos, am really happy that I've been lucky to get one snap of a joey (kido k'roo inside its mother's pouch). The entire day I ended spending time with Koalas, kangaroos and reading through their habitat and lotsa info on other animals/birds there. Check this link for more accurate info from the horse's mouth. http://www.featherdale.com.au/

No comments: